Welcome at RacingNews365

You are logged in. Benefit directly from all the benefits of your account:

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits

Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in
Fernando Alonso

Alonso still wants discussions over first-lap track limits

Fernando Alonso was unhappy with the stewards' ruling over an incident involving Kimi Raikkonen at the United States Grand Prix. However, when it comes to the drivers' briefing ahead of the next race in Mexico, he believes there are more pressing issues that need to be discussed.

Alonso USA 2021
Article
To news overview © Alpine

Fernando Alonso admits he is still keen for track limits on the first lap of a race to be discussed at the next drivers' briefing, after voicing his frustration over the policing of this at previous Grands Prix.

The Spaniard explained after the Russian Grand Prix that he had made trips through the run-off area on the formation lap and opening lap in order to "confirm" his belief that Formula 1 has "different rules for different people". These allegations were rejected by the FIA.

More recently, Alonso felt unhappy at the United States Grand Prix after Kimi Raikkonen was not ordered to give a place back following an overtake on him into Turn 2, with the Alpine driver arguing that the rules applied during the race for incidents like this were "not consistent".

F1 Race Director Michael Masi has previously stated that he hoped to discuss the issue at the next drivers' meeting, but Alonso is more concerned with talking about first-lap track limits than the Raikkonen case.

"The meeting is tomorrow [Friday], so I'm open to listen [to] whatever they want to say," Alonso told media, including RacingNews365.com, ahead of the Mexican Grand Prix.

"But this is exactly what I don't want [to] happen. I think there are many other things we should discuss in that meeting, like lap one."

In reference to the removal of a series of 'sausage kerbs' at Turn 1 in Austin before the race – which did not seem to prevent several drivers from running wide on the opening lap – Alonso added: "They removed the bumps on the outside after the problem with F4 or wherever, the car that launched outside of Turn 1, and there were three or four cars going wide in Turn 1.

"So I would love to talk about those cars as we talked in Sochi."

Working together for a solution

Alonso does not see any point in talking any further about the Raikkonen move, having explained: "When you pass outside the circuit you normally give up the position.

"If we bring this topic to the drivers' meeting we will have the same answer, so we will not bring it.

"I think if you are talking [about] football and you take the ball inside the area with your hands, it will be a penalty, so you don't need to bring this to every match. Every time you touch the ball with your hands in the penalty area it's going to be a penalty, every match."

However, the two-time World Champion is still committed to engaging in discussions with the FIA in order to promote "fair" racing.

"Obviously the answers are always very constructive and very positive because we all want to race as fair as possible," he said.

"We try to address all the problems, because sometimes it's not only the drivers' input of the race itself, it's just the nature of the circuit.

"In Sochi, you will always have more problems than Silverstone or different circuits. We try to work together for a better solution, so let's see."

Also interesting:

Video: How safe is a Formula 1 car?

RacingNews365.com takes a look at the most important changes over the years regarding the safety of F1 cars.

F1 2021 Mexico City Grand Prix RN365 News dossier

0 comments

x