Abu Dhabi Grand Prix | The season finale
Eight months after we began, 21 races and 18 Max Verstappen wins, Formula 1 is gearing up for the season finale with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Verstappen has won the last three races at Yas Marina and enters as favourite to secure a 19th win of the season - and one that would move him up to third on the all-time wins list.
He is currently tied with Sebastian Vettel on 53 after victory in Las Vegas, and can also win his seventh straight race since Red Bull's sole defeat in Singapore. Verstappen has won 16 of the 17 races since Miami.
Elsewhere, the other major battle is for second in the Constructors', with Mercedes on 392 points, and Ferrari on 388.
The other major area to be decided is for fourth in the Constructors', with McLaren on 284 to Aston Martin's 273.
The battle for the last points in the championship
In the Drivers', the top three positions are filled with Verstappen, Sergio Perez and Lewis Hamilton locked into their positions. It is the first time Hamilton will have finished third in the standings.
Carlos Sainz and Fernando Alonso are locked on 200 points apiece in their fight for fourth, with Lando Norris five behind on 195.
Charles Leclerc looks detached on 188, while George Russell will finish eighth in the standings, on 160 points.
Below is the full weekend schedule for the 2023 F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
f1 abu dhabi schedule 2023
|Date||Session||Local time||Greenwich Mean Time||Central European Time||Eastern Time|
|November 24th||Free Practice 1||13:30||09:30||10:30||04:30|
|November 24th||Free Practice 2||17:00||13:00||14:00||08:00|
|November 25th||Free Practice 3||14:30||10:30||11:30||05:30|
|November 26th||Race - 58 laps||17:00||13:00||14:00||08:00|
Interesting facts about the F1 Abu Dhabi schedule
- Twilight Racing: One unique aspect of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is its scheduling during the local evening time. This decision is not merely for aesthetics but is primarily driven by the scorching daytime temperatures in the region. Racing in the cooler evening provides a more comfortable environment for both drivers and spectators.
- Spectacular Sunset: The twilight scheduling also offers a breathtaking visual spectacle. As the race progresses, the sun sets over the Yas Marina Circuit, casting a stunning array of colors across the track. This transition from daylight to dusk adds an extra layer of drama to the event and makes for memorable visuals.
- Unique Racing Conditions: Racing in the cooler evening temperatures can influence the performance of the cars and the behavior of the track. Drivers and teams must adapt to changing conditions as the race unfolds, adding an extra layer of strategy to the competition.
- Fan-Friendly Timing: The evening schedule is not just for the benefit of the teams; it also caters to the fans. The more bearable temperatures make it more enjoyable for spectators attending the race, enhancing the overall experience for everyone.
- Entertainment Extravaganza: The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix doesn't just stop at the race. The evening schedule allows for a grand finale that extends into the night, often featuring post-race entertainment, concerts, and other special events, creating a festive atmosphere for fans.