McLaren CEO Zak Brown and Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff have offered their opinions on the difficult challenge facing Formula 1 regarding when to introduce technical changes.
As is often the case at the start of a new regulations cycle, the need for further technical changes has been a significant talking point, spanning multiple areas.
Compression ratio has been one of the biggest discussion points during pre-season testing, with a vote set to take place to determine whether changes will be made to how it is measured by the FIA.
Race starts have been another key topic of conversation due to how long it takes drivers to build the turbo to the correct level following the removal of the MGU-H.
Much remains unknown about the new power unit regulations, putting the sport in a difficult position when it comes to deciding the right moment to introduce technical changes.
Discussing the difficult balance for Formula 1 in making technical changes before Melbourne while also waiting to see how the opening rounds unfold, Zak Brown said: "I think it's a combination of both. I think we're all learning a lot right now.
"Every session, we're learning more about the car. I think we all want what's best for the sport, and we still have a little bit of testing to go.
"We're going to try some stuff here, evaluate it, and if we need to make a change, we'll make a change. I think some of the changes that have been proposed you could do pretty quickly.
"So I don't think we know the answer now, but at the end of the day, the sport — we'll all come together and do what produces the best racing."
Viewed by others:
Wolff's view
With regard to the compression ratio, Mercedes is believed to be the team being targeted, with a new test potentially set to be introduced after the summer break.
That depends on the outcome of the manufacturers’ vote, with a supermajority needed for the new compression-ratio test to be put in place.
Despite the complexity of the new regulations, Formula 1 is in a stronger position to make changes — a point Toto Wolff raised in Wednesday’s latest meeting of the F1 Commission.
Offering his own views on F1 trying to strike the right balance when it comes to technical changes, Wolff said: "I think what became clear in the F1 Commission was that I was really positive that, in the past, we would be victims of ourselves, taking drastic or draconian decisions in a group like the F1 Commission.
"Having said that, there are more engineers now in the group, so you can't blame us for being on planet Mars.
"So it was good to evaluate and agree on some things rather than knee-jerk some quick decisions like in the past. And let's see how this is all going to evolve. Melbourne is also, energy-wise, a very difficult track.
"So we are going to see right from the beginning where the problems can be, then develop from there and find solutions that are in the best interests of all stakeholders."
Also interesting:
Join RacingNews365’s Ian Parkes, Sam Coop and Nick Golding as they look back on last week’s first test in Bahrain and this week’s second test at the same venue. The trio debate Max Verstappen’s criticism of the regulations and whether Formula 1 is facing an identity crisis.
Rather watch the podcast? Then click here!
Don't miss out on any of the Formula 1 action thanks to this handy 2026 F1 calendar that can be easily loaded into your smartphone or PC.
Download the calenderMost read
In this article












Join the conversation!