Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in
Audi

Audi completes F1 takeover of Sauber

Audi's projected takeover of the Sauber Formula 1 organisation is nearing completion ahead of its 2026 debut.

Audi
Article
To news overview © XPBimages

German manufacturer Audi is understood to have completed its takeover of Sauber ahead of its entry into the 2026 Formula 1 season.

Audi announced in August 2022 that it would enter the sport as a power unit supplier in 2026 before later confirming its plans to operate as a fully-fledged works team.

It reached an agreement with Sauber to take over the Swiss-based squad's operation when new technical regulations are set to come into play.

After purchasing 25 per cent of the Sauber organisation in early 2023, the remaining 75 per cent is believed to have been acquired earlier this week.

RacingNews365 understands an announcement will be made on Friday.

The announcement will squash any lingering doubts over Audi's F1 debut amid speculation the company was getting cold feet over its entry.

Personnel changes at the helm of Audi following its decision to join the grid sparked suggestions it could look to back out and sell its F1 project.

Markus Duesmann was replaced as Audi CEO in 2023 by Gernot Dollner, who late last year reaffirmed “the plan is in place” for Audi's entry in 2026.

Its maiden season will coincide with new technical regulations that will usurp the current chassis and power unit rules.

F1 is moving towards increased electrification of its engines as well as running a 100 per cent sustainable fuel.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel and don't miss a thing of Formula 1

Subscribe to our Youtube channel

Join the conversation!

x
RESULTS 2024 F1 Chinese Grand Prix