Welcome at RacingNews365

You are logged in. Benefit directly from all the benefits of your account:

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits

Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in
Dutch Grand Prix 2022

Ricciardo "not aware" Piastri had signed McLaren 2023 deal

The CRB ruled that McLaren had rights on Piastri for 2023, but Ricciardo says he wasn't aware of the deal.

Ricciardo
Article
To news overview © XPBimages

Daniel Ricciardo has admitted he wasn't aware McLaren had signed a deal with Oscar Piastri to replace him in Formula 1 next season.

McLaren announced last week that Ricciardo would be leaving the team following two under-whelming seasons where he has been comprehensively beaten by Lando Norris with no sign of improvement coming.

The Woking squad were rumoured to have signed Alpine junior Piastri to replace his fellow Australian, but remained tight-lipped as the case went through the FIA's Contract Recognition Board.

The CRB ruled on Friday that McLaren does have a legally binding deal with Piastri - hence he will partner Norris in 2023.

However, speaking at Zandvoort following a strong day in Friday practice for the Dutch Grand Prix, Ricciardo admitted he was not aware of any deal.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was signed on July 4th, the day after the British Grand Prix.

The week after, Ricciardo released a statement on his social media, saying he was still fully committed to McLaren - but the team had already moved to sign his replacement.

"To be honest, on the date [of Piastri signing], that's the first I've heard," the eight-time Grand Prix winner told Sky Sports F1.

"I'm not aware of timelines obviously and this and that and what the team is discussing.

"Before that date [July 4th], for months we were already discussing - not my future - but where we could improve in order to have a better future with the team.

"So I'm aware there was going to be talks ongoing.

"I guess what the team does preparing Oscar, that's not my business in terms of what day they spoke.

"If that's the case, then so be it. It's not really my decision to make.

Also interesting:

F1 podcast: Could Honda stay with Red Bull beyond 2025?

As Max Verstappen took a dominant win in the Belgian Grand Prix, plenty of attention remains on off-track matters, with Audi confirming their 2026 arrival into F1, and question marks remaining over the involvement of Porsche and Honda.

RacingNews365.com F1 journalists Dieter Rencken and Michael Butterworth discuss the key topics from the Belgium Grand Prix.

F1 2022 Dutch Grand Prix RN365 News dossier

0 comments

x