Robert Kubica will get another chance to drive in a Formula 1 Grand Prix this weekend, as the Polish driver has been called up to deputise for Kimi Raikkonen once again at Monza.
Raikkonen sat out the Dutch Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19 on Saturday morning at Zandvoort, with Alfa Romeo reserve Kubica getting the call up to replace the Finn ahead of FP3. He went on to finish 15th in the race, after a clean afternoon.
With Raikkonen not yet cleared to return to Formula 1 as he isolates at home in Switzerland, Kubica will continue to stand in for Alfa Romeo at the Italian Grand Prix, alongside Antonio Giovinazzi.
"First of all, I want to share my best wishes for Kimi: I hope he makes a full recovery and returns to the cockpit soon," Kubica said.
Kubica has limited experience with the C41, having carried out some testing and free practice sessions with the car earlier in the year. However, with the Italian GP using the Sprint Qualifying format, Kubica will only have one hour of free practice to get a feel for the car in low downforce configuration before qualifying on Friday evening.
He's aiming to draw upon some of his ample experience at a track where he finished on the podium in his third Grand Prix some 15 years ago.
"I am looking forward to racing in Monza, an incredible track in which I claimed my first podium, in 2006," he said.
"Unlike Zandvoort, it is a track I know well and this will help, particularly since the Sprint Qualifying weekend format means we will be one practice session short.
"I am happy with what I did in Holland and I can't wait to help the team out one more time in Monza."
F1 Podcast: Can Mercedes stop Verstappen hat-trick after Dutch dreams come true at Zandvoort?
It's time for the latest episode of our new Formula 1 podcast, with F1 journalists Dieter Rencken, Thomas Maher and Mike Seymour chatting about Max Verstappen's dream weekend at home in Zandvoort!