Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in
Ferrari

Ferrari 'feel' for McLaren after painful double disqualification

McLaren suffered a painful double disqualification at the Las Vegas Grand Prix last weekend.

Norris Las Vegas race
Article
To news overview © 2025 Getty Images

Ferrari head of track engineering Matteo Togninalli has admitted he feels sorry for the McLaren squad following its double disqualification in Las Vegas.

Both Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri were thrown out of the classifications on Sunday after their cars were found to have exceeded the maximum plank wear.

The non-score has offered a major boost to Max Verstappen in the title fight, as the Dutchman now sits just 24 points down on Norris.

McLaren became the second team this year to suffer a double disqualification after Ferrari was eliminated in China after Lewis Hamilton's plank was excessively worn and Charles Leclerc's car was underweight.

Drawing on the pain that Ferrari suffered near the start of the campaign, Togninalli expressed empathy for McLaren. 

“First of all, rules are rules,” he expressed to media including RacingNews365. “I feel for them, honestly.

“I know exactly the feeling. Our job as engineers is always to find the last millisecond, so you try to push things at the limit.

“If you try to push things at the limit, sometimes you go over. It's part of the game.”

Ferrari reveal adjustment after China DSQ

Sauber's Nico Hulkenberg was also disqualified for excessive plank wear in Bahrain, with Norris and Piastri marking the third and fourth occasion the issue has speared its head this year.

Togninalli revealed Ferrari has been using a safer margin each weekend since Hamilton's issue in China.

“After the disqualification, we put a lot of effort into the prediction,” he said. “We base on free practice, we base on last year’s data.

“But it’s a very fine line. The only way to be sure to be legal is to take margin. Margin is performance, and nobody wants to lose performance.

“So it's very difficult. Every team did the same process. The fact that we have been disqualified, probably we have put some more effort than others.

“Maybe we are more in control, but never say never - we still have two races to go.”

The Qatar Grand Prix this weekend is using the sprint format, offering just one practice session to get the cars dialled for the sprint sessions.

Togninalli outlined that teams use the sprint race as a base to form their set-up for qualifying and the grand prix, as parc fermé conditions are lifted after the shorter race.

“In the sprint weekend, the only sample that you have is the sprint race,” he said. “The FIA is aware of this and we all take the approach in that way.

“So maybe you don't push at the limit for the sprint race. You have the sample, which is a very clear sample, and then you fine-tune for the race.”

Don't miss out on any of the Formula 1 action thanks to this handy 2026 F1 calendar that can be easily loaded into your smartphone or PC.

Download the calender

Join the conversation!

Never miss a thing from the Formula 1 season! Add the 2025 F1 schedule to your calendar at the touch of a button. Subscribe below and put the dates and times of every race directly on your PC or smartphone, so you don't miss a second from the new season.

Download the F1 calendar Download the F1 calendar

A variant with just the race and qualifying is also available.
Click here to download it..

x
RESULTS 2025 F1 Qatar Grand Prix - Sprint Qualifying