Since the coronavirus pandemic erupted in March 2020, the Formula 1 circus has rolled on without the attendant crowds that usually descend upon racetracks for grand prix weekends.
Organisers have remained positive that we will see a return for spectators for races in the current 2021 season, but the first two races of the year have been run behind closed doors, as will the upcoming Portuguese Grand Prix in Portimao.
However, F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has said that the Monaco Grand Prix scheduled for May 20 to May 23 could be the first race to welcome crowds this year, according to Sky TG24.
"Monte Carlo promises to be the first Grand Prix where a limited number of people should be admitted on Sundays," he said.
"This gives us hope looking forward, because if the situation improves, there will be a gradual reopening and Formula 1 fans will be given the opportunity to participate in the Grand Prix. There is also a strong physical demand for Formula 1, not just on television."
Domenicali added that the 2021 season was proving even more challenging for organisers than last year as they have to deal with the varying requirements and regulations in each jurisdiction the series visits.
"This year is more complex than last year, when no one thought of completing a season with 17 Grands Prix," he said.
"It is more difficult because each country has different legislation, we move with the daily situation, which changes from hour to hour."