Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in

Ben Sulayem expresses 'surprise' at Andretti reaction

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem says the "adverse reaction" is surprising to Andretti's F1 plans with General Motors.

Mohammed Ben Sulayem says it is "surprising" that "thoroughbred racers" like Andretti have received an "adverse" reaction to their Formula 1 entry bid plans. On Thursday, Andretti announced their intention to apply for entry to Grand Prix racing, with the backing of General Motors and Cadillac after Ben Sulayem opened up an 'Expression of Interest' process earlier in the week. Andretti has long held ambitions to have an F1 team, but while Ben Sulayem's initial statement to the news was welcoming , the one from F1 itself was more cautious . Commenting about the reaction the bid has received on social media, Ben Sulayem added further support: "The FIA has accepted the entries of smaller, successful organisations in recent years [and] we should be encouraging prospective F1 entries from global manufacturers like [GM] and thoroughbred racers like Andretti and others. "Interest from teams in growth markets [such as the United States] adds diversity and broadens F1's appeal."

1612066033912713217

. @Cadillac @FollowAndretti @GM @FIA @F1 pic.twitter.com/ziVL91FCec — Mohammed Ben Sulayem (@Ben_Sulayem) January 8, 2023

x
LATEST Hulkenberg set to sign for Audi