Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in
F1

Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix confirmation deadline revealed

The F1 teams and drivers will finally get to know soon whether the sport heads to the last two races.

Domenicali
Article
To news overview © XPBimages

Formula 1 will make a call in the middle of October on whether the sport heads to the final two grands prix in Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu and Audi counterpart Mattia Binotto have confirmed that date is the deadline for a decision to be made on whether F1 risks venturing to the Middle East.

The two races have effectively been 'to be confirmed' since the outbreak of the war in the region in February between Iran and the United States, and the fact that despite promises of peace on occasion, no truce has so far been brokered.

F1 has effectively made clear that with no announcement of a definitive cancellation, the two races are still going ahead.

Now, at least, a timeline has been imposed, understandable from the perspective of the teams and the logistics required in advance if they are to attend the two races.

"I believe Stefano is targeting to tell us in mid-October, so we will all know what the situation is," remarked Komatsu, referring to F1 president and CEO Domenicali when asked about the situation.

Komatsu confirmed that "Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it", with a race at the Italian circuit currently slated as the possible reserve on the first weekend of December. At present, Abu Dhabi is poised to bring the curtain down on that date.

Binotto added: "As we discussed during the F1 Commission on Monday, mid-October is the last call for such a decision."

[Article continues below]

Snow tyres in Imola?

As to the challenges the teams face should the Middle East double-header be cancelled and Imola goes ahead, Komatsu said: "For instance, things like European motorhome structure, etcetera, and all those people who look after them.

"They have a winter job, so we need to find alternative people to do that. I'm sure we all, as the F1 community, will make sure that if we have to do that, that will happen.

"Hopefully, as a baseline, we can go to Qatar and Abu Dhabi. That would be really good."

One of the main concerns is the weather and the likelihood of cold, wet conditions. Binotto, however, outlined that it might not be as bad as feared. 

"The main challenges are more organisational and logistical," he said.

"From a technical perspective, we may say wintertime, snow tyres, but, as a matter of fact, if you look at the average temperature in Imola at that time of the year, it's hotter than Las Vegas by the time we get to race in Las Vegas [at night].

"So I don't think that's a true concern. Hopefully, we make the right decision."

Get the latest F1 news from RacingNews365 directly in your Google feed! Click on the link below and you’ll see your favourite F1 website appearing even more often. That way, you’ll never miss any news, analyses, interviews, or exclusives.

Follow RacingNews365 on Google

Join the conversation!

Never miss a thing from the Formula 1 season! Add the 2026 F1 schedule to your calendar at the touch of a button. Subscribe below and put the dates and times of every race directly on your PC or smartphone, so you don't miss a second from the new season.

Download the F1 calendar Download the F1 calendar

A variant with just the race and qualifying is also available.
Click here to download it..

F1 calendar 2026
Race Date
aze Azerbaijan GP 26 Sep 2026
bhr Bahrain GP 04 Oct 2026
sgp Singapore GP 11 Oct 2026
usa United States GP 25 Oct 2026
mex Mexico City GP 01 Nov 2026
bra Brazilian GP 08 Nov 2026
Full calendar
x
LIVE 2026 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku Free Practice 2