Welcome at RacingNews365

You are logged in. Benefit directly from all the benefits of your account:

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits

Welcome at RacingNews365

Become part of the largest racing community in the United Kingdom. Create your free account now!

  • Share your thoughts and opinions about F1
  • Win fantastic prizes
  • Get access to our premium content
  • Take advantage of more exclusive benefits
Sign in
Russian Grand Prix 2022

Drivers praise F1's decision to call off the Russian GP

Formula 1 drivers have been offering their reactions to the news that this year's Russian Grand Prix will not be held, given the developing situation in Ukraine.

Formula 1 have been praised by drivers for taking the decision to cancel this year's Grand Prix in Russia, after Russian forces launched a major military assault on neighbouring Ukraine.

F1 confirmed on Friday that the event at Sochi Autodrom will not be going ahead, describing it as "impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances".

Several drivers have given their reaction to the news, unanimously agreeing that the sport took the "right decision" to call off the race, which had been scheduled in for 25 September.

"I think it's the right step," said Williams driver Alex Albon in a press conference attended by RacingNews365.com.

"It's very saddening and I think it's the right decision for us. Obviously, there's much bigger things out there than racing."

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz added: "Personally, I would have found it very difficult to catch a plane and land in a country that is at war.

"I'm happy that everything has been cancelled for the moment. Now we can focus on the rest of the season and just pray and hope that everything's going to be solved soon."

"We live in a crazy world nowadays"

The united front continued during the press call, with Valtteri Bottas lamenting the "crazy world we live in nowadays".

"Innocent people losing their lives, people losing their homes and families, and [who] don't have safe places to live in, is not right," said the Alfa Romeo driver.

"All we can [do is] hope that everything gets resolved with the best possible outcome. For now, I think it's the right decision by F1 not to go to Russia.

"It's so hard to predict the future, what it's going to be [like] in a few months, so I'm pretty sure that all the drivers agree with that decision."

Aston Martin's Lance Stroll added: "It's very scary times. We definitely have to just pray and hope that things will be okay, but it's very hard to watch.

"I think F1 has definitely made the right decision; we can't be going to Russia right now."

Mick Schumacher, of Haas, which have been caught up in the situation, also gave his thoughts.

He said: "The war started and I think that is something that affects us all. It's something that personally makes me really sad to see.

"I think we should all hope and pray for Ukraine."

Also interesting:

With F1 pre-season testing getting underway in Barcelona this week, our journalists Dieter Rencken, Mike Seymour and Thomas Maher look ahead to what to expect.

F1 2022 Barcelona pre-season test RN365 News dossier

0 comments

x
EXCLUSIVE Verstappen reveals the race he could have 'won from last'